On May 15, 2014, Former president Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III signed Proclamation No. 760 which declares January as “Zero-Waste Month.” This initiative aims to promote environmental awareness and action among Filipinos, as well as “institutionalize public participation in the development of national and local integrated, comprehensive and ecological waste management programs.”
Since the Philippines is the third biggest contributor of the plastic waste that goes into worldwide seas, don’t you think that it’s just right for all of us to do our part in this initiative?
According to the Ecosystems Research and Development Bureau of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources (DENR), here are some things that we can do to help save our environment:
- Buy less so we can create less waste
- Try to go paperless
- Lessen our consumption of electricity by unplugging and switching off electronics that are not in use
- Encourage others to join us in our journey to zero waste
- Regulate local plastic regulation
- Strengthen local solid waste management plans
- Address the plastic pollution caused by our country’s sachet culture
- Collaborate with people and the government in promoting zero waste
- Raise awareness on zero waste
How about you? What initiatives are you doing for Zero-Waste Month?
Follow Karla on Instagram.