1. Pride. Your bedroom becomes a photo studio and you spend the best part of an hour working through different poses including duck face and smizing, but your smizing eyes start to look crazed. You risk lateness to pre-drinks and your arm begins to ache from outstretching to get the best angle. But you're feeling pretty proud of the options you've provided yourself with.
2. Fear. You now spend the next hour debating which one to go with. But what if you make the wrong selection and destroy your IG reputation? The struggle is so real.
3. Indecision. You log in to Instagram and experiment with filters. Valencia makes your (non-existent) tan look amazing, but Hudson makes you seem kind of edgy.
4. Confusion. The next thing to deal with is the all-important caption. Do you go for a simple sassy girl emoji, or use actual words to communicate like #love? You also want to seem in on the selfie joke, so something satirical like #shamelessselfie could work. Or what about a simple #nofilter? You only did a tiny bit of light editing.
5. Stress. Now you have to consider whether this is prime time to upload. Maybe it's worth waiting 'til 9:00 p.m. You read somewhere that this is peak exposure time.
6. Courage. You finally click the upload button.
7. Anger. "Why has only my sister liked the photo?" you exclaim in frustration. It's been 10 MINUTES. You thought these people were your friends. You feel so betrayed. #firstworldproblems
8. Contentment. Okay, you're safe. You've reached 8, that's respectable. Plus, your crush has just given it a double tap, so that's the equivalent of 10 likes from your family, right?
9. Joy. OMG OMG OMG you've reached double figures. No longer does it just list names. The complete relief you're feeling is indescribable. You are basically Beyoncé right now.
10. Anticipation. You begin to wonder what and when the next selfie should be. Obviously you have fans and they are all going to be waiting in anticipation. YOU ARE SO IN DEMAND IT IS RIDICULOUS. If you really commit you could quit your job and become IG famous. Oh the possibilities…
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.co.uk. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.