1. Everyone thinks your boyfriend is a jerk because he doesn't talk to any of your friends for the first, like, two years.
And then feeling like you have to print out all of your text messages for them so they can know how sweet he can be, really, I swear!!
2. Spending a good portion of your courtship trying to figure out how the hell he feels about you.
This is true of a lot of guys, yes, but trying to figure out if a shy guy is into you is like trying to crack the DaVinci code (though I didn't read the book or see the movie, so maybe that was easy? but I kind of doubt it because that movie looked long).
3. Wanting to invite him to a work function, but also knowing he'll probably be known as "That weird guy you're dating who never talked to anyone" if you do.
Plus, let's be real. Your co-workers won't even really "meet" your boyfriend until he's had a few shots and someone brings up Game Of Thrones. If you can find a way to make those things happen though, oh, will he be loved.
4. Knowing there are certain conversation topics that are off limits because if you brought them up, he'd freak out and combust into a pile of nerves.
And the funnest part is trying to find out what those topics are before you accidentally hit that land-mine and he goes into the bathroom and doesn't come back out again.
5. Praying he'll make noise during sex like you're wishing for rain during a drought.
Because otherwise you're just sitting there wondering if he's enjoying this or if he's half-asleep and just waiting for you to be done so you can cuddle.
6. Being slightly terrified when he releases his secretly kind-of-kinky side.
This only lasts for a moment because then you're like, "Hell yes! I am high-fiving you once I stop being on top of your body sexually."
7. Convincing your parents he does in fact have a personality even though he's never said anything more than "Thanks" to them.
And then trying to hatch a plan that will show them his truly wonderful spirit. This could possibly involve hidden body cams placed on your jacket during your Netflix and ice cream Friday nights.
8. Seeing someone you know when you're in the drug store with him and thinking, "Yeah, I'm going to have to say every word in this forced small talk convo while he stands there like a stranger who *might* know me."
If I had a nickel for every time I'd had one of these interactions (that were so awkward I swear the person never even realized my boyfriend wasn't just a random guy hovering near me like a creep), I'd be a millionaire.
9. Feeling like you say, "I never knew that about you!" multiple times a week.
Because you know he's not always going to disclose all of his awesome qualities and passions and achievements from day one, but also it'd be cool if you didn't feel like every date was the first date (real talk though: this is actually kind of cool ultimately).
10. When you tease him about something little and he doesn't say anything back, so you're pretty sure he hates you now.
Wondering if your shy boyfriend suddenly hates you is maybe 50 percent of having a shy boyfriend.
11. Having to pretend he's not blushing when he's definitely blushing.
Because if you point out that he's blushing, you're worried his cheeks would explode off of his face like a pot that was ready to boil over and has now flooded the house. Poor cheek explosion boyfriend. I love you so.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.