1. He will really listen to you.
You won't see his eyes glaze over when you start an in-depth comparative analysis of Beyoncé's discography because he genuinely cares about what you have to say.
2. He understands that showing emotion is a thing that humans do.
He's there for you, whether your dog passed away or you're watching the beginning sequence in Up.
3. His attention to detail is unsurpassed.
He will remember everything from your favorite place to get brunch to how you take your coffee.
4. He is physically incapable of bragging.
Shy guys like to receive praise and recognition in a humble way, which just makes you want to brag about how fucking great he is.
5. He's basically a human advent calendar, and each day, you find out a tantalizing new detail you never knew about him before.
It's very possible that "We've been dating for two years and you never told me you're fluent in French?!" is a sentence that could leave your mouth.
6. He doesn't feel the need to dominate every conversation.
He's gonna let you finish.
7. He treats everyone with respect.
It doesn't matter if he's talking to his boss or the waitress who's covering your table, it's "please" and "thank you" all day and all night.
8. He's never not adorable.
Nervous and tongue-tied? More like cute as hell.
9. He gives the best advice.
Not only is he great at listening to your problems, he's always there to give honest, thoughtful guidance when you ask for it.
10. He's generally down to do things with you that other guys make every conceivable effort to avoid.
Making cupcakes for your BFF's birthday party? He'll help, no questions asked.
11. He's obsessed with surprising you in sweet, adorable ways.
Because he expresses himself more through actions than words. Flowers, breakfast in bed, random notes left around your room—he does it all.
12. You feel at ease with him.
Intimidating Christian Grey-types are only hot up to a point. When you want to spend the morning lying in bed and talking about ~*LiFe*~, it's shy guys FTW.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.