1. He changes the topic as soon as you bring up how good you are at making out.
You're having deep, meaningful talks, but he steers things away from anything sexual, even if you drop a double-entendre and try to make it painfully easy for him.
2. He opens doors for you and lets you walk in first.
He might be into you, but he might just have manners. Alternatively, he could be a character out of Jane Eyre come to life and you're about to partake in some classic Victorian novel hijinks.
3. He's touchy with you but also with everyone else.
Resting his hand on your thigh? Brushing hair out of your face? It sounds like he's crazy into you, until you realize he's the kind of person who hugs everyone and always has his arm around somebody's shoulder at parties. Dude just likes touching.
4. Your lola would call him "a real nice boy."
If your grandmother thinks he's a real nice boy, he's probably just a real nice boy. Real nice boys are nice to everyone and only get all Michael Cera-esque in front of women they're into.
5. He responds to your messages right away.
If he cared about looking desperate, he'd at least wait a few minutes.*
6. He gives you the same compliments he'd give to his sister.
Just to be clear: "You are nice" = not flirty. "You have nice eyes" = pretty flirty. "You have a nice ass" = definitely flirty. "You have nice clavicles" = GET OUT (unless your clavicles are hella striking).
7. You are 100 percent confident he's flirting with you, until you see him talk to another woman.
And you realize he's a chronic flirt. So he could be into you but you have no way of knowing. And plus, do you want to be with a guy who is flirty with everyone anyway?
8. He is from another country.
If this is the case, we're talking a 50-50 shot that he's into you. Things could also be totally lost in translation, so he could be in love or just unaware of cultural norms.
9. You tried to kiss him and he was (politely) like, "Nah."
Come on. He probably doesn't like you that way, unless he's waiting for marriage to have his first kiss.
10. He's avoided giving you any of his contact info.
If he doesn't make an attempt to make sure you know how to reach him (or he even dodges the question), then he was just making small talk with you at that party to be nice.
11. He tries to set you up with one of his friends.
This is not something people who like other people do to the people they like. Ever.
12. He never goes out of his way to contact you.
He might have long conversations with you or reply to all your Snapchats, but he never initiates contact. He's either the worst communicator who ever lived, or he's just friendly.
*All right, full disclosure, he might be so into you that he doesn't give a shit about text windows and junk.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.