1. They're not going to break up with you because you had a stupid fight over pizza toppings.
Someone who is always in an exclusive relationship knows that some mild fighting is part of a healthy relationship, and even if you insist on Canadian bacon instead of pepperoni, they're not going to dump you over your (bad) choice.
2. Get ready to be one-upped in the gift-giving department.
Oh yeah, you're not getting generic teddy bear and candy shit on Valentine's Day. This is a person who's probably into personalized scavenger hunts and tracking down a rare first edition of a comic book you didn't even know you wanted. You're gonna have to step it up.
3. They're not a clinger.
The key to making exclusive relationships work for longer than three weeks is to not binge on hanging out with them so you get sick of them super fast, and this is something they know. Dating a monogamist will be a slow, steady (and healthy) balance of personal and together time.
4. Even though they've probably had fewer sex partners than you, you can expect them to be a total god(dess) in bed.
In other words, always being in a relationship means they've had a lot of practice. You might've slept with more people than they have, but they've almost certainly had more sex than you. Quality not quantity, is what I'm trying to say here.
5. They'll also probably be down to do that wild and adventurous sex thing you've always wanted to try, but never had the chance to (no, not 69ing).
They're the type to require a certain level of intimacy first, but once that intimacy is established, they'll be ~crazy~ in bed. They're willing to mix it up so it never gets boring.
6. You're going to hear a lot of stories about their ex—and you should not freak the fuck out about it.
Their exes were their best friends. Don't let it get to you—they're not comparing you, they're just using the material they have to provide anecdotes.
7. But checking other people out in public (you creep) is going to get you called out.
They're a monogamist. They don't want to share you.
8. You're not just going to be able to half-ass your way through every single conversation about their bad days at work.
They'll expect you to be a good listener, and help them work through problems, and be there to cuddle and binge on snacks at the end of a long, bad day—but only because they're willing to do those things for you too. A relationship to them is a well-rounded thing.
9. Don't worry, they're not secretly planning your future wedding.
"We're not seeing other people" is not a marriage proposal. It's just a dating preference, so ya know, chill out. Take it easy.
10. Don't even think about not texting them back for a few days.
Communication in a monogamous relationship is key. They know this and are going to hold you to it. So if you up and disappear and are like, "LOL, sorry, I just forgot to text back," they're going to be pissed, and rightfully so.
11. If you cheat, they'll have forgotten about you and moved on before you can even send a "Wait, babe, no, babe, wait" text.
Open relationships are great for some people but not for serial monogamists, nope. They are completely uninterested in sharing you with other people, and call them old-fashioned or whatever, but that's just the way they choose to live. Know that cheating is basically burning a bridge forever.
12. But if you're good to them, they'll be the most devoted, attentive partner ever.
Just like sports (I think, I don't know a lot about sports), people get better at dating with practice. And this is someone who's had a lot of practice. None of what they're doing that makes you feel great, warm, and occasionally fuzzy is an act—they really do want you to feel like the best person in the world when you're together. They wouldn't have chosen to date you if they thought you'd just be some dumb fling, so cherish that shit.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.