There's absolutely no reason why women can't hit on men literally whenever they want to. It should actually be encouraged, since men are sometimes terrible about bucking up and taking initiative.
In a recent Ask Reddit thread, some men laid out a few ground rules for making it clear that you're interested in a dude. Spoiler: You're probably being way too subtle.
1. "Be direct or we won't know until four years later one random day while taking a dump." —DUMB_IDEA_
2. "By pointing her finger at me and saying: 'You, yes you, I like you!' Honestly, it's probably the only sign which I'd be able to understand without a doubt." —Pawel1212
3. "Don't be subtle. Don't be subtle. Guys do not pick up on hints (and even if they do, they tend to think that they're reading too much into it)." —SportTheFoole
4. "I love when a girl is forward. If you can tell me what you want and have no shame, you've hooked me." —Anp3450
5. "It doesn't have to be a date, but asking him, and only him, out to accompany you for an event or excursion is a good start. In general, just paying attention and keeping a conversation going are all good ways of showing interest. This works for both guys and girls."—More_Empathy
6. "A girl once texted me 'Want to come over to mine?' and I found that as a good indicator that she was interested. Ironically I was not the intended recipient. Jokes on her though because I was busy brushing my cat anyway." —PM_ME_UR_VULVASAUR
7. "Just be straight about what you want, nobody cares about mind games or subtle hints." —tiger1926
8. "Text first every once in a while. Offer your opinion on where you want to go for lunch. Call him up and say, 'I got some free time today lets take a drive.' It's little things like that, that will make guys think, 'Wow this girl is spontaneous, fun, and wants to do stuff!" —PM_ME_UR_SPACEBALLS
9. "Invite them out to lunch, lightly touch them to get their attention, if they get excited over a subject then keep bringing it up, and laugh around them." —ZonessStar
10. "Be assertive, go say hi. Unless there will be long forced interactions, most guys will be absolutely clueless of subtle hints unless he is already into you and planning out his approach." —nanonserv
11. "Ask me out and clarify that it's a date and not just lunch/dinner/coffee/Netflix." —AthabaskaDick
12. "Take initiative and approach us to start a conversation whenever opportunity arises. It can be any topic at all. Repeat the same actions more than twice, and we definitely know you're interested. If the guy still does not understand your intentions even after more than four to five tries, then please move on and look for another guy."—taichi_duck
13. "Have you tried doing the kissing yourself?" —RubyBautista
14. "I don't read social queues very well, so she would have to be super obvious. Be super affectionate or just outright say you like me." —occams_butterknife
15. "If you are actively making out with me, I might realize that you're interested. Seriously though, subtle signs do not work." —MyMetalPony
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.