1. At different times in history, missionary has gone by a lot of different aliases. It's also been known as the matrimonial, the mama-papa position, the English-American position, and the male superior position.
2. Missionary is the only legal sex position in Florida. But you're probably never going to get arrested for doing something else.
3. It really might be the OG sex position. It is used by our distant ancestors, the great apes. It also shows up in ancient texts. The first time two humans boned, it was probably face-to-face, dude on top, next to a romantic fire in the woods or something. Maybe a cave, I dunno.
4. And it's still the most popular position. In the famous Kinsey Studies, 90 percent of married women report using the position, and 9 percent use it exclusively, which is super depressing. But take all that with a grain of salt, since these studies are 60 years old.
5. Missionary could be called "armadillo style." Because armadillos also use it, which is weird.
6. No one really knows why it's called the missionary position. It's a common myth that the position gets its name from missionaries giving sex tips to the people they were ministering to. In reality, the term cropped up in the 1950s and was probably just the cause of a mistranslation of historical documents.
7. You can use the missionary position for things other than vaginal intercourse. Like "intercrural sex," which involves lubing up the woman's thighs and sliding your penis in and out. Yeah, that is a real thing. Anal is totally viable from missionary too. Basically, missionary gives you options.
8. It's guys' third-favorite sex position. It got beat out by doggy style and cowgirl in a recent poll, but it's still an old standby.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.