1. He misses you more than he wants to admit.
He might not be sappy or explicitly emotional, but this is hard on him, too.
2. Whenever he visits, it doesn't have to be "perfect."
He just wants to be able to see you, and that's enough. Don't worry about planning a ton of outings and touristy things to do in your area. Those are nice, but he's really there to spend time with you.
3. He knows there might be some disappointment along the way.
For any number of reasons, things might not work out. He might not be able to make it for your birthday. Your anniversary might have to be another Skype call. That said...
4. He knows the good times will make it worth it.
You get to load up months' worth of relationship time into a handful of days or weeks. Every time you see each other, you're going to have an amazing time.
5. Just because this is long-distance, doesn't mean he's seeing someone else or living a double life.
It's easy to scare yourself into thinking something could be going on, or you're somehow getting catfished. But more than likely, everything is perfectly fine. Trust is huge in any relationship, and it's doubly so in a long-distance relationship.
6. Plane tickets are expensive. Just keep that in mind.
If you're expecting to be able to visit each other every month, that plan can go out the window pretty quick. Unless you work in the airline industry (or have your own jet) that's going to eat into your finances real quick. Make sure to pick your flights ahead of time unless you want to make sure you can never buy a house.
7. Sexts are always appreciated.
If you're ever thinking, Is now an appropriate time to sext him?, the answer is always yes. Always.
8. He's willing to do some cute long-distance things, but he has his limits.
Maybe he'll fall asleep on the phone with you every night (unlimited minutes, yo), or he'll Skype you so you can watch a movie together. But he's probably not going to carry phone-you around with him at his holiday office party so you can meet all his coworkers. He'd like you to show up in person for that, thanks.
9. There's not really such a thing as "too much" in a LDR.
Okay, maybe. But it's not as much as you'd think. When you're apart for so long, you can't ever really "nag" him or overwhelm him through texts. Don't worry about shooting little messages off here or there during the day. It's nice to have those moments.
10. Ignoring each other is the worst thing you can do.
Seriously. Giving him the cold shoulder when you're a couple who gets to hang out in real life is bad enough. When you're in a long distance relationship, this strategy always backfires, because he's got no idea what's going on. Neither of you should ever resort to that.
11. You're going to want to punch couples in the face who complain about how hard it is to be an hour away from each other.
That is all.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.