1. Gum wrapper.
2. A lot of Mysterious Purse Dust.
3. An empty tissue packet wrapper.
4. Seven crumpled receipts that you will never actually check against your bank account.
5. A business card from someone you had a really promising networking conversation with, who you will never, ever speak to again.
6. Your business card from two jobs ago, even though you've gotten a new purse since then.
7. Coins. Lots of them.
8. Spare cell phone charger that kind of looks like a tiny vibrator. Note: It's not actually charged.
9. A napkin with the wrapper half torn open.
10. All the bobby pins you've ever used. Note: These will mysteriously disappear when you actually need one.
11. Broken hair elastic.
12. Lip balm from three years ago.
13. A tissue that you can't tell is clean and fell out of the wrapper or is used and you put it back because you couldn't find a garbage can.
14. One unwrapped, squished piece of Mentos.
15. A Starbucks gift card that is probably empty but maybe has P30 in it.
16. A tiny sample of hand cream that you got and put in your purse because you were going to be the kind of lady who is always on time and always has artisanal hand cream. You have never used it. It is covered in Mysterious Purse Dust.
17. Something that appears to be garbage to the naked eye but actually fills you with happy memories when you go to clean out your bag. You went to Paris five years ago, but you're keeping that old Metro ticket in the corner with the gum wrapper forever. Your bag may be a pretty vehicle for garbage, but it's also good for carrying around memories.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.