White or anything pastel is the go-to color of most wardrobes in the summer. We totally get it—it's the best way to look and feel fresh, unlike darker hues that may suffocate you. But whoever said you can't wear black in the summer is totally wrong—black is forever, after all. Below, a few tips from celebrities and fashion influencers who show us how it can be done.
1. Let's start with the most obvious—a black maillot, of course!
As seen on Kim Jones, black will always give off that slimming effect so it's only natural to pick a swimsuit in noir.
Customizable maillot, starts at P1,698, Georgina Sasha
2. Kiana Valenciano stylishly demonstrates how you can sport your one-piece in the city.
Maillots are good investments because you can easily use them as tops when you're not at the beach. The back is scooped low to bring sexy ~*back*~, and when paired with breezy drawstring trousers and sandals, they make the perfect beach-vibe ensemble.
Spaghetti-strap maillot, P1,740, Sundae
3. An off-the-shoulder top does a good job of both showing off your collarbones and stylishly concealing your arms.
Pick one with tie straps that you can adjust depending on which part of your arms you would like to cover. Then, tie them into bows to add that extra feminine touch, as seen on Julia Barretto.
Off-shoulder top, P1,099, Cole Vintage
4. On the other hand, Julia's #SoulSister, Erich Gonzales, did a good job of showing us that not all summer dresses come in white or floral.
This tie-front mini dress is something you can totally take from morning to evening. After all, every girl needs a little black dress.
Tie detail dress, P699, H&M
5. One of the biggest trends this summer is asymmetrical tops.
Blogger Tricia Gosingtian demonstrates that with the right fabric, there's no need to turn your back on your favorite color. Go ahead and fight off the heat in style with one bare shoulder.
Ruffled asymmetric blouse, P2,295, Mango
6. Buddies Nadine Lustre and Lauren Reid show us that simplicity via a pair of jeans and a basic tank or tee is a chic yet ~chill~ look for the summer.
V-neck tee, P249, Penshoppe
7. Classy hubaderas like Martine Cajucom know that anything with a thigh-high slit (or two) is essential for all the summer parties you're bound to attend.
Double-slit dress, P2,239, Weave
8. Solenn Heussaff is #bodygoals, and we all know that it comes from her hard work and discipline. But it's hard not to envy her gym wear whenever we watch her workout videos.
More and more activewear brands are tweaking their pieces to look stylish ever since the whole athleisure trend blew up, so go ahead and get yourself pieces you can take from the gym to the streets.
Wrap knit tights, P4,295, Adidas
9. How can you not go backless in this heat? Anne Curtis clearly got the memo and showed some skin in a back-baring dress.
Mini dress, P1,995, Zara
10. Coachella Queen Vanessa Hudgens showing off her toned bod in an all-black ensemble proves that you can wear the dark hue even when it's hot—as long as it's either cropped, sheer, or breezy.
Frilly bra top, P1,195, Bershka