The new year gives us another chance to get things right, even when it comes to our beauty routines. Here, 16 resolutions even tamad girls can keep.
1. Wash your face twice a day. The hard truth is that good skin doesn’t come easy—you have to work for it. The basic skincare routine begins by washing your face and getting rid of makeup, dirt, oil, and grime. Get into the habit of washing your face twice a day and twice a day only, even if you have oily skin. Facial washes can actually strip your skin of its natural oils, so you shouldn’t overdo it.
2. Get an eye cream and use it religiously. Okay, none of us are getting any younger, so we’re bound to show signs of sagging and tired skin soon. The eye area is VERY delicate, so it needs extra attention and care. Invest in an eye cream that will brighten, soothe, and nurse your under eye area to keep you looking fresh.
3. Skincare > makeup. In her book, This Is Me Love Marie, Heart Evangelista shares, “Spend on skincare, save on makeup. Because if your skin is already nice, you don’t really need much!” Take this quote to heart, and remember that makeup can really only do so much if your skin is bad.
4. Remove makeup every day. It might seem like a lot of effort to always have to wipe your face clean of products, but it’s way easier than having to deal with breakouts and various skin issues. (Pro tip: If you’re lazy AF to remove makeup, just don’t wear makeup at all.)
5. Be bolder with your lipstick choices. We all know you’ve been lusting over that deep plum lipstick since forever! Take the plunge and swipe it on—you’re bound to look fabulous anyway.
6. Get quality makeup products, regardless of the brands. Be smarter with your choice of products. Expensive products aren’t necessarily effective, while affordable brands aren’t always chaka. Scout for alternatives to save some cash on beauty products—you can use that money for other important things like traveling!
7. Finally get your foundation shade right. No more #HappyFoundationDay for you, sis!
8. Quit using baby powder on your face. You can use baby powder for other ways in your beauty routine—like setting your lipstick, getting rid of sand on your body during a beach trip, and sopping up oil in your hair—but it definitely doesn’t belong on your face. As a grown woman, get yourself proper pressed powder to keep oil at bay. (P.S. It’s not as messy as baby powder, too!)
9. Wash your makeup sponges and brushes at least once a week. Think of the germs! Of your skin! Of yourself! Aside from your brushes, disinfect your other tools like your lash curler, tweezers, nail cutters, etc.
10. Learn to do a proper smoky eye. There are about one million tutorials on YouTube, which means you’re bound to find one that you can actually follow.
11. Wear sunblock every day. This one is a non-negotiable. Save your skin from sun damage, and your future self will be very grateful for it.
12. Use heat-protecting spray before ironing your hair. You KNOW in your heart that your hair iron/curling iron/blow drying habit ruins your hair, so at least try to save it. Get yourself a spray to lessen the damage and keep your hair healthy.
13. Learn how to fill-in your brows. It’s not rocket science! Trust us, having nicely filled-in brows will instantly frame and brighten your face.
14. Get a haircut every 3-4 months. Healthy hair = happy girl.
15. Drink more water. This one’s the oldest and easiest trick to score better skin. Keep yourself hydrated and you’ll see that your skin will love it.
16. Get yourself waterproof products. Say goodbye to smudged eyeliners and runny mascara! Just get waterproof everything—it’s that easy.
Follow Retty on Instagram.