ABS-CBN News reported that during a press briefing, Assistant Secretary Maria Rosario Vergeire said that the DOH has “reported 10 new confirmed cases of the coronavirus disease 2019, on top of the four new cases announced on March 8.”
The assistant secretary said that the test results from the new cases that were released today were collected from March 6 to 8. Additionally, the DOH has also begun contact tracing and that they have already reached out to local government units.
In a press release from the health bureau, Health Secretary Francisco T. Duque III said, “DOH has deployed additional surveillance teams to expedite contact tracing of the new cases. Rest assured that DOH is maximizing all channels, including coordinating with the Philippine National Police, other stakeholders, and government agencies, to immediately identify, and isolate if needed, those who may have had contact with the confirmed cases.”
The DOH said that all of the cases that were reported are stable and admitted at the Makati Medical Center, St. Luke’s Medical Center in Global City, The Medical City, and St. Luke’s Medical Center in Quezon City.
So far, the Epidemiology Bureau has identified 468 contacts for patients four to 10, of which, 113 have been assessed. The DOH has also interviewed 107 contacts who have been placed under home quarantine, while six have been categorized as Patients Under Investigation (PUIs) and placed under isolation at various health facilities.
On March 7, the DOH raised its alert level to Code Red for COVID-19. The health department also confirmed the local transmission of the deadly virus.
In a Facebook post on March 8, the DOH reminded the public to remain vigilant and to practice preventive measures such as frequent handwashing and proper cough etiquette.
Follow Monina on Instagram.