Next time you want to be a domestic goddess, you’ll be a little more inspired because seriously, it’s so easy. Here's a cheat sheet for you:
1. Salt, pepper, and dried herbs give lots of flavor.
Salt and pepper make everything taste better, and herbs like rosemary are great on red meats and fish. Just sprinkle them on anything you’re cooking to make meals tastier.
2. The microwave is your best friend.
Don't have time to whip out a frying pan and cooking oil in the morning? You can have breakfast prepared in no time at all.
How to make:
A. Sunny side up
Crack an egg into a shallow bowl and microwave for 45 seconds and voila. Eat it with toast for a quick breakfast.
B. Scrambled eggs
Whisk a couple of eggs together and pour in a bowl. Microwave for 30 seconds at a time for three times, and stir between each set. Top with chopped tomatoes and ham for a complete meal. If you’re a fan of spice, add sriracha sauce for eggs with a kick.
Your microwave is also an oven, which mean it can cook things.
Fish, like salmon, is easy to season and cook. Plus, it absorbs flavor well even without marinating. Try this 7-minute microwavable salmon recipe.
3. Stir-fried recipes are the best.
- A wok or frying pan takes less than two minutes to heat up. If water droplets immediately evaporate when they hit the pan, it’s hot enough for the oil to cook food. Use healthy oils like olive oil or coconut oil.
- Buy pre-cut meat or chicken (sukiyaki or stroganoff cut for beef; chicken tenders for chicken) if you’re too tamad to hack through chunks of meat.
- Broccoli, cauliflower, bell peppers, onions, and leafy greens are easy to chop into small sizes. Nobody will check if you’ve cut them perfectly!
- Follow this formula: Cook meat first + salt, pepper, and Asian sauce + add veggies last.
4. You can’t go wrong with pasta!
Pasta recipes are super easy if you have the right ingredients.
- Fill a pot with water and salt (1 tablespoon of salt for a half kilo packet of pasta) and bring to a boil.
- While your water is boiling, sauté chopped onions, tomato, garlic, chili flakes, and basil in olive oil. Your water will be boiling when this is done so set that aside first.
- Cook pasta (try angel hair or spaghettinis) for about 2 minutes until al dente. Rinse in cold water and drain to avoid mushy noodles.
- Toss with sautéed veggies and top with parmesan cheese.
5. A fancy steak dinner is like, ridiculously easy.
Serve steak with pre-mixed veggies for an almost instant meal.
- Heat a frying pan for five minutes so it becomes very hot.
- While the pan heats, “massage” both sides of your steak with salt and pepper.
- When pan is hot, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil or butter.
- Cook each side of the steak for about 2 minutes (or depending on how you like your steak cooked)
6. You can use granola as “pie crust” for dessert.
Think de-constructed apple pie. Sliced apples with brown sugar and cinnamon will give that apple pie taste. Add granola all over and top with ice cream for almost instant apple pie a la mode. Get creative and try this with different fruits and dessert toppings!