1. Her couches are covered with blankets. No, it's not because she's always cold (though she might be that too). She's just trying to keep his dirty paws from messing up her furniture without going into Old Lady mode and leaving the plastic cover on it.
2. She can deal with gross stuff. This doesn't mean she's totally immune to disgustingness or that you should break out the bathroom humor, but she's picked up enough poop that she doesn't totally freak out if something is a little unpleasant.
3. You're probably going to stay at her place more than she stays at yours. Fido is not going to walk and feed himself, and she would never dream of leaving him all alone anyway.
4. Spontaneous after-work drinks aren't going to happen. Unless she has time to book a dog walker (or her home has a doggy door), she's going to need to take her pup out before she goes anywhere. But she can meet you a little later, OK?
5. Likewise, you can't just whisk her off for a spontaneous romantic weekend. Someone has to make arrangements for the dog. (Bonus points though if you take care of that too.)
6. There might be three of you in the bed. And not in a *~sexy~* way. If her furry friend wants to sleep between you guys, you probably don't have much say in it. If he wants to burrow by your feet, well, that's just going to happen too.
7. She will spend an absurd amount of money on her pup. Between walks and vet visits and food, she's putting a decent amount of her paycheck toward her dog, no matter what that paycheck actually is. Do not judge. It's what you do for family.
8. She will notice every other dog in the neighborhood. Her dog is the best, of course, but do not expect to get far with her pointing out, "Corgi! There's a Corgi!" or, "Did you see that French bulldog?"
9. She sometimes resorts to baby talk. Even if she can't stand it between human grown-ups, she can't help it when it comes to her pup. He's just so smushy, you know?
10. She will bring some trace of her dog pretty much everywhere she goes. Whether it's a neon poop bag sticking out of her pocket or a layer of white fur on her black jacket or a drool spot on her jeans, there's often going to be one thing slightly off on her otherwise put-together outfit.
11. You will always have a lurker under the kitchen table. Eating on the couch in front of the television? You might not to want to be so cavalier about leaving your plate on the coffee table while you go to get a drink. That Chinese food will be so gone when you get back.
12. You can expect texts with photos and videos of her dog. So what if you literally just left her home? You have to see the cutest thing he just did.
13. Never, ever tell her he's "just an animal." Were you hoping to get in a fight? Because that's one way to do it.
14. As soon as it's nice out, your dates will involve lot of walking to places where you can sit outside. Do you really expect her to leave him at home on gorgeous day? You need ice cream and he needs exercise, so it's really win-win.
15. She truly misses him when they're apart. The separation anxiety is real. And when they are reunited, it is quite the love fest.
16. She's loyal and responsible. She has someone who fully relies on her, and she takes that seriously.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.