Breaking up with someone shouldn't be that hard. You simply tell them clearly and honestly what you're thinking and why, right? Yeah apparently some people cannot physically tell the truth or be respectful enough to do it face to face. In fact, some of the below people took incredibly cowardly ways out...
- "Told him I had cancer. He reassured me everything would be okay and that we would get through this. The next day, I came home from work to find all of his belongings gone from our place. He'd changed his mobile number and blocked me on all forms of social media. We were together for five years. I beat the cancer and found someone new, but I will never forget that.." [via]
- "The day that my friend committed suicide. It was also a week before our one-year anniversary, which I'd already paid for a trip for. He took me to a very busy, hip restaurant and sat on the patio and broke up with me. When I said, 'Why in god's name did you have to do this to me here?' he said, 'A friend told me to always break up with someone in public so they can't make a scene.'" [via]
- "Steam message. STEAM. MESSAGE. This guy dumped me via STEAM MESSAGE! That's the chat system used in the popular online video gaming store/network on PC." [via]
- "I was naked, in the bath. He walked in, broke up with me and left. He'd been away for the weekend sharing a room with his 'best friend' probably cheating on me with her the whole while. He probably thought he was quite the gent coming to do it in person—admitting he'd lied to me and had been in love with her all along, using me the whole while—but who the hell breaks up with someone when they're naked?! I've never been more humiliated and damaged by a breakup." [via]
- "When we got together, he knew my dad was dying of a long terminal illness. Boyfriend met him before he died, we were together six months. When my dad died, he came to the funeral with me, then three weeks later he tells me he wants to see me less often because 'work is busy.' Not what I needed at the time but I agreed. Then one of my friends sends me a screenshot of him coming up on her Tinder matches. I confront him, he breaks up with me. It was the most awful time in my life. Within one month I lost pretty much everything I had." [via]
- "I was out of town visiting my family for Christmas and my husband was with his family. Three days after Christmas, he sends me an email saying he wants a divorce. Ok, you got it buddy!" [via]
- "Over text after three years in a relationship. While I was about nine weeks pregnant. When I told him that, he asked his mom to call and talk to me. The mother said, 'We can not be responsible for the unborn baby. You can't drag him into this.' Yeah." [via]
- "Took me to see Saw 3, then sat me down at McDonald's and broke up with me while I ate a cheeseburger. I had to catch the bus home alone, crying." [via]
- "Text message break up! Relationship of [more than] two years. I'm over it now but at the time I was real upset." [via]
- "In person, at their job, while they were working. They had ghosted me for two weeks, and saw me there at their job, and told me, 'I'm single and we'll talk later.' [It was] in front of a room full of people while I was trying not to cry and wondering what went wrong. Then later, they told me the relationship was over for them three weeks earlier actually, and they just decided to try faking it for me so they wouldn't hurt me. Also everything I thought they were feeling for me was a lie the entire relationship." [via]
- "Through the consul! I was moving to his country so I applied for a visa, during my visa interview the consul just told me, Mr. Asshole* sent us an email stating the revocation of his invitation and that you are no longer together. (Mind you, I was just on the phone with him about an hour before my interview and we were both excited. He emailed them a week before. WHAT AN ASS.) I sat there for good five minutes and then left with a blank face. Never have I ever been humiliated as much as that." [via]
- "My now ex-husband told me he was in love with someone else an hour in to a nine-hour road trip. We were headed to a beach holiday with my entire family and had our one-year-old daughter with us. It was brutal." [via]
- "Email titled, 'hmmmmmmmmm'. Together 1.5 years. Happened to close to the SATC Post It episode for comfort." [via]
- "Via Facebook messenger after over a year together, after ignoring me for several days. On my birthday, the night before we were supposed to host my birthday party at his place. He started seeing someone else almost immediately." [via]
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com/uk. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.