Some people walk through life without thinking twice about their weight. Once they're fully grown, their weight stays preeeetty freaking steady for the rest of their lives.
It's not just good genes they're blessed with. Researchers at Cornell Food and Brand Lab recently polled over 100 healthy adults who'd never had any weight issues to find out which habits help them maintain their proportions. Here are some things the majority of slim people polled don't do, based on the findings:
1. Skip breakfast. Ninety-six percent of the people surveyed said they eat in the morning, and more than half make sure they include some fruits and veggies.
2. Follow craaaazyyy diets. Seventy-four percent say they rarely diet, and 48 percent don't diet at all.
3. Feel bad about food. They enjoy food without feeling anything but joy and fullness—even if they overeat. No biggie!
4. Restrict themselves. While people who want to lose weight L-O-V-E to swear off foods like carbs, dairy, and dessert, people who stay naturally slim set proactive goals instead of restrictive ones. So, instead of shunning processed foods, they might try to eat more whole foods. And instead of forbidding second servings, they listen to their bodies, and stop eating when they're full. '
5. Exercise—every single day. The majority of the people surveyed actually exercise less frequently than you'd think: 32 percent sweat it out no more than twice per week, while 27 percent work out three or four times weekly, and 10 percent don't work out at all. It just goes to show people can stay slim with a realistic amount of activity.
6. Hide from the scale. Half of the people surveyed say they weigh themselves weekly—not daily and not never.
7. Choose salads over sandwiches. While you'd think the slimmest people would eat all the greens (especially at lunchtime, when go-to alternatives likes sandwiches and wraps are high in carbs), only 38 percent say they eat salads for lunch every day. The study doesn't specific what they eat instead—but one can only guess there's at least a sandwich (or burrito) in the mix.
8. Steer clear of soda. Interestingly, the majority of people polled report drinking soda, and most of them stick to diet drinks—even though experts say you should treat diet soda as a, well, treat.
9. Stay sober. Only about 3 out of every 10 of those surveyed avoid alcohol together. A+ info if you imagine a slimmer, healthier version of yourself—with wine in hand.
10. Give zero fucks about what they eat. Although it might seem like your slimmest friends can somehow house loads of pizza and candy and whatever else they want, more than 90 percent of people surveyed say they pay attention to what they eat. Which means they might default to a super-healthy salad the day after a pizza feast for ~balance~.
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com.
* Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.