The Department of Health (DOH) confirmed the case on November 15, making it the first electronic cigarette or vaping-associated lung injury (EVALI) in the Philippines.
DOH officials said in a report from CNN Philippines that the patient was using the product “concurrently with cigarettes” which the health agency has tagged as “dual-use.”
In a statement, the DOH said that the patient was admitted on October 21 and had “initially presented with sudden-onset severe shortness of breath, required oxygen supplementation, and ICU admission.”
According to a report from ABS-CBN, health undersecretary Eric Domingo said, “If you are currently using electronic cigarettes, you are at great risk of EVALI.” He added that e-cigarette and cigarette consumers are encouraged to ask their doctors about the best way to kick the habit and to stay away from its aerosol emissions.
The health undersecretary also said that about one percent of Filipinos, especially the youth, are into vaping. On November 11, Pasay City prohibited vaping in public spaces in an effort to implement stricter measures on smoking.
Follow Monina on Instagram.