Now that you're ~adulting~, one of the things you’re probably curious (read: clueless) about is how to get the valid IDs. You’ve probably done your research, pero nakakalito pa rin talaga. You're well aware that every document is important pero ano ba yung dapat mong unahin?
Here are four valid IDs that will make all of this adulting stuff so much easier for you:
The Postal ID is the easiest valid ID to apply for because anyone can get it. Plus, the process is quick, and you probably already have the requirements. You can use the ID for three years.
Issued by: Philippine Postal Corporation (PHLPost)
Requirements for application for Postal ID:
- Two copies of duly-accomplished PID application form
- Proof of identity:
- Birth Certificate Issued by NSO or Local Civil Registry
- GSIS or SSS UMID Card
- Valid Driver’s License
- Valid Passport
- Proof of address - Bring any of the following:
- Barangay Certificate of Residency issued within three months prior to PID application
- Certified True Copy of Lease
- Certified True Copy of Titles issued by the Land Registration Authority (LRA)
- Certified True Copy of Real Estate Tax Receipt
- Bank Statement
- Credit Card Statement
- School Billing Statement
- Utility Bill (cable, electric, internet, landline, telephone, water)
Process of application for Postal ID:
- Submit your requirements and pay the application fee of P504 at any post office. Here’s where you can find the complete list of branches.
- After your requirements are approved, head to the nearest ID capture station (click here for a list of branches) where you will be digitally photographed and fingerprinted.
- Once you complete the ID capture process, you just have to wait for your ID to be mailed to your mailing address. For Metro Manila, it should arrive within 10 to 15 working days, and for island provinces and remote barangays, approximately four to five weeks.
This valid ID is issued to verify that there are no criminal cases against you, and it’s usually a requirement employers ask for before fully hiring new employees. The process is quick and easy, especially because you can apply for it online!
Issued by: National Bureau of Investigation (NBI)
How to apply for an NBI Clearance:
- Head to their website and set up an account.
- Fill up the necessary information and then click “apply for clearance.” You will be asked which ID you’ll use during your appointment. Here are the documents they will accept:
- UMID (Unified Multi-Purpose ID or the SSS ID)
- Driver’s License
- Birth Certificate authenticated by the PSA (Original Copy)
- Voter’s ID or Certificate of Registration
- Postal ID
- PhilHealth ID
- BIR ID
If this is your first job, your employer’s HR department will most likely help you get your SSS number but it’s all up to you to get a Unified Multipurpose Identification Card (UMID). This valid ID can be used for your SSS, GSIS, PhilHealth, and PagIBIG membership benefits, so it’s essential for you to apply for this!
Issued by: Social Security System (SSS)
Once you’ve paid at least a month of SSS contributions, you can apply for a UMID. Here’s how:
- Download and accomplish the Unified Multi-Purpose ID (UMID) Card Application Form. You may find it here.
- Double check all of the information you’ve filled up on the form.
- Prepare at least one of the accepted primary IDs or two other valid IDs and documents. You should also bring photocopies of these IDs.
- Prepare an original or certified true copy of one of the accepted primary IDs or two other valid IDs and documents. Also prepare photocopies of the original IDs you plan to present. You can see a list of accepted IDs here.
- Head to the nearest SSS branch which has UMID enrollment or ID Capture facilities. For a complete list of branches, click here.
This is one of the most important IDs that you can have because it’s widely accepted as a primary document for all of your adulting requirements. Applying for your passport should be easy, especially if you already have all of the requirements.
Issued by: Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA)
How to apply for a passport:
- Before anything else, book an appointment through https://www.passport.gov.ph/. Slots are limited and are usually hard to find, so block off that date.
- Prepare your requirements:
- Application packet which contains your confirmed application form, two copies of the e-receipt, and your indicated schedule
- An original and photocopy of your birth certificate.
- Any of the following Valid IDs:
- Social Security System ID (SSS), Government Service Insurance System (GSIS), or Unified Multi-Purpose Identification (UMID) Card
- Land Transportation Office (LTO) Driver’s License
- Professional Regulatory Commission (PRC) ID
- Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA)/Integrated Department of Labor and Employment (iDOLE) Card
- Commission on Elections (COMELEC) Voter's ID or Voter's Certification from the Election Officer with Dry Seal
- Philippine National Police (PNP) Firearms License
- Senior Citizen ID
- Airman License (issued August 2016 onwards)
- School ID
- Current Valid ePassport (For Renewal of ePassport)
- Head to your chosen DFA branch and come in clothing that adheres to DFA’s set of rules: Plunging necklines, sleeveless clothings, spaghetti strapped tops, see-through tops, sando, tube tops, and halters are not allowed.
- You’ll be given a queue number at the application counter and when it’s your turn, you will be asked to go to the processing area to present all of your documents. Then, you can go to the encoding area where you will take your photo, fingerprints, and digitized signature.
- To claim your passport, you can get it at the DFA on the indicated date on your claim stub or you can have it delivered to your mailing address for P150.
We are officially on Viber! Be part of the Cosmo Viber Community by clicking here! You can also visit the Sticker Market and download the "Cosmo Girl Sticker Set" here to be automatically part of the group. The stickers will only be available until April 27, so don't miss out on the fun!
Follow Karla on Instagram.