Goodbye, no matter who it is, is one of the hardest things to say—especially when you don't know what comes next. Will you see each other again? Will you have a second chance? What if this is really the end?
Here, 13 perfect goodbye quotes, for any occasion.
- "It is so hard to leave—until you leave. And then it is the easiest thing in the world." – John Green
- "We laughed until we had to cry, we loved right down to our last goodbye, we were the best." –St. Elmo’s Fire
- "If you're brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello." –Paulo Coelho
- "Goodbyes are only for those who love with their eyes. Because for those who love with heart and soul there is no such thing as separation." –Rumi
- "How lucky I am to have something that makes saying goodbye so hard." –A.A. Milne
- "It's time to say goodbye, but I think goodbyes are sad and I'd much rather say hello. Hello to a new adventure." –Ernie Harwell
- "All changes, even the most longed for, have their melancholy; for what we leave behind us is a part of ourselves; we must die to one life before we can enter another." –Anatole France
- "The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected. Maybe they always have been and will be. Maybe we've lived a thousand lives before this one and in each of them, we've found each other. And maybe each time, we've been forced apart for the same reasons. That means that this goodbye is both a goodbye for the past ten thousand years and a prelude to what will come." –Nicholas Sparks, The Notebook
- "I've never forgotten him. Dare I say I miss him? I do. I miss him. I still see him in my dreams. They are nightmares mostly, but nightmares tinged with love. Such is the strangeness of the human heart. I still cannot understand how he could abandon me so unceremoniously, without any sort of goodbye, without looking back even once. The pain is like an axe that chops my heart." –Yann Martel, Life of Pi
- "We stood there, looking at each other, saying nothing. But it was the kind of nothing that meant everything. In his eyes, there was no trace of what had happened between us earlier, and I could feel something inside me break.
So that was that. We were finally, finally over.
I looked at him, and I felt so sad, because this thought occurred to me: 'I will never look at you the same way again. I'll never be that girl again. The girl who comes running back every time you push her away, the girl who loves you anyway.'
I couldn't even be mad at him, because this was who he was. This was who he'd
always been. He'd never lied about that. He gave and then he took away. I felt it in the pit of my stomach, the familiar ache, that lost, regretful feeling only he could give me. I never wanted to feel it again. Never, ever.
Maybe this was why I came, so I could really know. So I could say goodbye." –Jenny Han, It's Not Summer Without You
- "Some people come into your life at the right time for the most intense reasons and then some leave your life at the perfect time for the most saddest of reasons, time decides who you meet, and you decide who stays." –
- "I wanted to have the perfect words to tell him how he'd been family, how I wouldn't be who I was without him and how my life was a collage of memories and he was in every one. But the words couldn't get past the lump in my throat, and as his eyes became glassy, I knew that it was okay. He got it." –Heather Demetrios, I'll Meet You There
- "It seems that the people who come into our lives and stay for the briefest amount of time have the greatest impact upon us. Time may change some things, but not all things. Each day brings me closer to him, and the age in which he passed from this world into the next, but I still fight the urge, on rare occasions, to pick up the phone and dial his number, which I still remember. It's decades later, but that last meal we shared, laughing and smiling at each other from across the table, lost in harmony, seems but yesterday. Then there was the last lingering look and the final wave goodbye." –Donna Lynn Hope