First dates are a recipe for embarrassing yourself. You're both nervous. You don't know each other well. It's easy to put your foot in your mouth and say the wrong thing, or fumble with the menu. Here, nine guys open up about their most embarrassing first date stories.
1. "I went on a date to a pretty nice restaurant and when the check came, my card got declined. I tried another credit card that I hadn't used in a very long time, and that got declined, too. Apparently there was some fraudulent activity on my account. My date didn't have her wallet on her, and I had to run home, leaving her at the restaurant, while I got my roommate to spot me cash. We both agreed it'd be the easiest if I just stepped out and she stayed behind so they didn't call the police or something. But that must have been an awkward 45 minutes for that poor girl. I got things straightened out and we actually went on a few more dates, but I felt awful leaving her behind. " —Kevin, 28
2. "When I was a freshman in college, I really wanted to impress this sophomore student. I took her to the only nice restaurant in our college town, and I proceeded to butcher the pronunciation of everything on the menu. Luckily she thought it was cute. We're married now." —Nicholas, 27
3. "I'm really bad with names. I had two Tinder dates lined up in the same week, and while we were getting drinks, I kept calling this girl the other date's name and they were nothing alike. It definitely annoyed her. Needless to say, that went nowhere." —Aidan, 25
4. "I managed to spill a beer on myself twice in one night. I was so nervous for some reason. I thought I played it off well since I had her giggling, but I never heard from her again." —Michael, 27
5. "I went to pick her up at the wrong address. She lived on East Spring Street, but I wound up accidentally going to West Spring Street. She didn't pick up when I called, so I went to the door, and the person that lived there was obviously not my date. I wound up sending her a pretty harsh text about how messed up it was she gave me a fake address. She responded, '...you went to WEST Spring Street, didn't you?' She gave me a lot of crap for that." —Brandon, 28
6. "I went on a date that was going really well when I got hit with just this massive wave of nausea. I excused myself politely, and very quickly speed walked to the bathroom. It was honestly the worst diarrhea I've ever had in my life. Every time I think I could get up, I got hit with another wave. I didn't know exactly how long I'd been in there, but it was a while. Eventually, she had a waiter check in on me. He asked if I needed help, but he must have known what was going on. I told him I was fine, and he very gently said, 'OK… well… I think your friend is going to leave now.' I said that was probably for the best." —Devin, 27
7. "A woman I got set up with took me to an art gallery. I am not the kind of person who should be taken to art galleries. I was trying to whisper, but at one point blurted out 'that looks like sh*t!' at some painting. I guess the way the place was built, sound really carried. Everyone turned to look at me and I sufficiently embarrassed my date." —Zack, 28
8. "I don't know what it was, if I didn't eat enough that day or I was tired or some kind of perfect storm, but I got super drunk on a first date and she had to basically throw me into a cab and also take an Uber home. I apologized to her about it, but I'm pretty sure she had written me off at that point." —Jon, 29
9. "We got drinks at a bar, and she wore this nice-looking dress that I'm sure was expensive. Somehow I wound up standing on it and when she got up to go to the bathroom, it ripped. Weirdly, I think I was more embarrassed than she was. I gave her my jacket so she could tie it around her waist and cover up the sizable tear. I took her home to get changed and things actually went really well from there. We wound up having sex." —Tim, 28
This article originally appeared on Cosmopolitan.com. Minor edits have been made by the Cosmo.ph editors.