It's the most wonderful time of the year. Even if deadlines are creeping in, at least our bellies (and bank accounts) are full, and more importantly, we get to spend more time with the family. Perhaps the only downside, however, is that when we're around relatives for an extended period of time, those body-shaming comments that we try to brush off as jokes with good intentions or *tough love* start up again.
Since hindi mo naman maco-control yung sinasabi nila, and maybe you want this year to be the year you don't lose your cool and let them affect you, we're here to help. Below are self-love quotes from celebrities—because if there's any group of people who knows what it's like to be criticized, it's them. Save them on your phone and read them to yourself when that one tita starts in on you.
- "It doesn't matter what size you are. It doesn't matter if you have cellulite. It doesn't matter if things jiggle where they're not supposed to. That's still beautiful." -Ashley Graham
- "There is no shame if it takes longer than you think it will to lose the weight (if you want to lose it at all). There is no shame in finally breaking down and making your own jean shorts because last summer's are just too dang short for this summer's thighs. Bodies change. Bodies grow. Bodies shrink. It's all love (don't let anyone tell you otherwise.)" -Anne Hathaway
- "I keep telling myself that I'm a human being, an imperfect human who's not made to look like a doll, and that who I am as a person is more important than whether at that moment I have a nice figure." -Emma Watson
- "When we think about our bodies, we often think about the way they look, as opposed to what they accomplish for us every day. It's easy to forget how powerful our bodies actually are. All it takes is a shift in mentality to appreciate everything your body (and mind!) does for you and to change the way you view yourself." -Iskra Lawrence
- "God made a very obvious choice when he made me voluptuous; why would I go against what he decided for me? My limbs work, so I'm not going to complain about the way my body is shaped." -Drew Barrymore
- "I remind myself to be kind to myself, and as slightly ridiculous as it may sound, to treat myself in the same gentle way I'd want to treat a daughter of mine. It really helps." -Emma Stone
- "I love my body, and I would never change anything about it. I'm not asking you to like my body. I'm just asking you to let me be me." -Serena Williams
- "Your self-worth is determined by you. You don't have to depend on someone telling you, who you are." -Beyonce
- "I must undertake to love myself and to respect myself as though my very life depends upon self-love and self-respect." -Maya Angelou
- "I think no matter what you look like, the key is to first of all be happy with yourself. And then you know if you want to try to improve things that you don’t like about yourself, then do it after you appreciate yourself." -Adele
- "Anyone who has ever been bullied or felt bad about yourself, I am out there fighting for you, for us. And I want you to fight for yourself, too! We need to laugh at the haters and sympathize with them. They can scream as loud as they want. We can't hear them because we are getting shit done." -Amy Schumer
- "We are so overly critical of ourselves — with the obsession with perfection, trying to reach a goal that's unrealistic. We should take care of what we have and not take it for granted, because it's our one body. All bodies are beautiful; let's face it." -Jennifer Aniston
- "I always get asked, 'Where do you get your confidence?' I think people are well meaning, but it's pretty insulting. Because what it means to me is, 'You, Mindy Kaling, have all the trappings of a very marginalized person. You're not skinny, you're not white, you're a woman. Why on earth would you feel like you're worth anything?'" -Mindy Kaling
Follow Ysa on Instagram.