Before we begin, let us start with this: Body hair is completely normal—don’t let society tell you otherwise! Getting rid of extra hair is no one else’s choice but yours.
That said, if your chosen hair removal method is Brazilian waxing in a salon but you haven’t been able to get it done due to the enhanced community quarantine, an at-home option you can try is shaving. Below, we discuss everything you need to know about it:
Important tips to keep in mind:
- Avoid shaving on your period, as your skin is more sensitive during that time.
- Shaving should be the last step of your shower routine. Doing it the minute you get inside the bathroom will give you serious razor burn. Damp skin helps the razor glide smoothly, which will then lower the risk of irritation.
- Never dry shave. If you don't have shaving cream, make sure to at least press a warm washcloth to the area to soften the hairs and avoid bumps.
- Don't use a dull blade. Use a fresh razor every time!
- Wear cotton underwear after shaving. This will help your skin breathe and recover, and will prevent ingrown hairs in the process, too.
How do I shave my bikini area?
Trim the hair first.
If the pubic hair is longer than an inch, make sure to trim them with scissors. Not only will this make it easier for the razor to do its job, but it will also prevent tugging and irritation.ADVERTISMENT - CONTINUE READING BELOW ↓
Use a loofah to *gently* scrub the area before proceeding. Doing this will help remove all the dead skin and allow you to get a closer shave.
Apply shaving cream.
This will help the razor go smoothly over the follicles rather than tug them which can cause irritation. If you don’t have shaving cream on hand, you may opt to use your conditioner to help soften coarse hair.
Shave in the direction of hair growth.
Pull your skin taut and shave in short, steady strokes in the way your hair grows. Going in different directions might irritate your skin or even cause you to bleed. Remember not to put too much pressure; the sharp blade should be doing the job for you. Rinse the razor after each stroke to keep the blades clean.
When you’re done, rinse away any shaving cream or conditioner left behind using warm water and pat the area dry.
As part of the aftercare, apply a mild, unscented moisturizer (you may also use aloe vera gel) to your bikini area to soothe it. Avoid wearing any tight clothing for the next eight hours to let your skin breathe.
Follow Cheska on Instagram.
Follow Cosmo PH Beauty on Instagram.
We are officially on Viber! Be part of the Cosmo Viber Community by clicking here!