If you have a hard time falling asleep for the past weeks, you're not alone. Many Pinoys have revealed that they find themselves tossing and turning past midnight. With everything that's going on, it can really be difficult to relax. There are many things you can try to clock in an earlier snooze time, like switching off gadgets and turning your bedroom into a cozy environment, but if those aren't working, you might want to go for this technique.
The U.S. army uses this method to fall asleep faster in chaotic environments like battlefields. It was detailed in the book, Relax and Win: Championship Performance, which was published in 1981. This was developed to ensure that the soldiers won't make "life-threatening mistakes due to exhaustion." (Lack of sleep results in fatigue, inability to concentrate, and forgetfulness.) Here's how the technique goes:
Military Method to Fall Asleep Faster
- Relax your tongue, jaw, and muscles around the eyes.
- Drop your shoulders and arms. Do this one side at a time.
- Relax your chest, thighs, and legs. Breathe in and out as you do this.
- Clear your mind for 10 seconds. If a random thought comes, just let it pass and focus on your breathing.
Imagine yourself being in any of the following scenarios:Continue reading below ↓
- You're lying in a canoe on a lake. You see a clear blue sky above you.
- You're chilling in a black velvet hammock in a dark room.
- Say these words to yourself for 10 seconds: "Don't think. Don't think. Don't think."
It is said that this worked on 96 percent of the people who practiced this technique for six weeks. Clearly, it's a habit you still have to learn, but seeing that soldiers have adopted this method for decades, it's worth trying *tonight*.
Follow Ira on Instagram.
We are officially on Viber! Be part of the Cosmo Viber Community by clicking here!