It happened by accident. The last screw of a 10-year-old sofa bed finally gave up just as I was sitting down after a long day. I was sleeping on a lopsided bed for more than a year, and my back was paying for it. After some back and forth with my parents, they offered to donate one of their mattresses to me. And because I wasn't too thrilled about having to coordinate with my condo's admin to bring in a new bed frame (read: they are inefficient AF), I settled for just keeping the mattress on the floor temporarily.
Not going to lie: It gave me serious Justin Long vibes in every movie where he plays a slob who hasn't accomplished anything—not the best feeling, even as a big Justin Long fan.
But after a week, it started growing on me. Actually, it felt fucking great—social stigma aside. Here are all the reasons why I love it:
- It's cooler. Literally. Heat rises so the coldest part of your room is actually on the floor. If you're lamigin, this might be a bad thing; but I always run a little hot, so it works for me. Plus, it's the best hack for this crazy heat we've been experiencing.
- My tiny condo feels bigger. And it makes low ceilings feel higher! My bed is positioned right by the window, too, so it really feels like the space opened up.
- It matches my lifestyle. While I'm not totally there yet, I have been actively trying to transition into a more minimalist way of living. As someone who doesn't shop a lot, it hasn't been that difficult; choosing not to own a bed frame or headboard is just a step closer to that goal.
- It reminds me of my childhood. My family and I used to share one room, with two mattresses side by side—yes, both on the floor. It sort of felt like we were camping indoors. While I wouldn't want that now, remembering how we used to live for the majority of my childhood puts a smile on my face.
- It's easier to clean. Yeah, you read that correctly. Before, I had to either get on my knees and try to get all the dust from under there, but now, I just lift my mattress to sweep the floor.
- It's the coziest setup I've ever had. Just because my mattress is on the floor doesn't mean it's uncomfortable. It's just the right amount of firm that it doesn't make my back curve weird when I lie down. And I have four pillows that sort of cuddle me when I sleep.
- The best part: It doesn't creak when you move a lot... ;)
If you're curious, I urge you to give it a try. Move your mattress to the floor for a week and see how it feels!
Follow Ysa on Instagram.