With the ongoing lockdown, the sad reality is that we can't dine in and hang out at our favorite cafes and restaurants—milk tea shops included. As a huuuge milk tea lover, this is kinda heartbreaking, lol. But thanks to the internet, you can recreate your go-to drinks in the comfort of your own home! If like me, you find yourself craving for those tapioca pearls and that sugary taste, treat yourself and check out these three easy milk tea recipes below.
Pearl Milk Tea Recipe
- 2 bags of black tea
- 2 cups of hot water (for the black tea)
- 1 cup of black tapioca pearls (sago)
- 6 to 7 cups of water (to cook sago)
- 1/2 cup of fresh milk
- 4 tbsp of sugar
- In a cup, place two bags of black tea and add hot water. Set aside for three to five minutes. Once it cools down, remove the tea bags.
- Get a pan and pour six to seven cups of water. Wait for it to boil. Add the black tapioca pearls and cook over medium heat. Continuously stir the pearls so that they won't stick together. Keep on pouring water until the pearls are cooked and translucent. Once done, wash the pearls in cold water and drain.
- In a separate bowl, add water and brown sugar. Mix well so that the brown sugar completely dissolves. Add the cooked tapioca into the mixture and stir to make sure the pearls don't stick together.
- Get a glass and add 1/2 cup of tapioca pearls. Add sugar or honey, black tea, and fresh milk. Mix well. Top it off with some ice and serve.
Brown Sugar Milk Tea Recipe
- 1 cup of boiling water
- 1 cup of dark muscuvado sugar
- 2 1/2 cup of tapioca starch
- 2 bags of tea
- 1/2 cup of full cream milk
- In a pan, add water and sugar. Bring it to a boil. Lower the heat and let it simmer.
- Add tapioca starch to the mixture. Stir well until it becomes thick enough to form into a dough.
- Remove from the pot and let it cool for a few minutes. Once done, knead the dough until smooth.
- Roll out the dough into a log and cut it into small pieces. Cut them into pearls and roll them to form a sphere. Add tapioca starch to prevent the pearls from sticking to each other.
- In a pan, pour four cups of water and add one cup of muscuvado sugar. Bring it to a boil. Add pearls, let it boil, and simmer for 25 minutes. Once done, wash the pearls in cold water and drain.
- Take a separate pan, pour four cups of water, and add two cups of muscuvado sugar. Bring it to a boil. Add pearls, let it boil, and simmer for 20 minutes. For this step, no need to wash the pearls in water and strain. You can keep them in the pan with the syrup.
- Prepare your tea with 1 1/2 cup of boiling water. Set aside for 15 minutes and let it cool. Add 1/2 cup of full cream milk. This will serve as your milk tea mixture.
- In a glass, line the sides with syrup and add pearls. Pour in your milk tea mixture and serve.
Milo Milk Tea Recipe
- 1 cup of water
- 2 bags of black tea
- 2 tbsp of granulated sugar
- 2 tbsp of creamer
- 30 g of tapioca pearls
- 1 pack of Milo
- In a small container, prepare the tea by adding one cup of hot water. Steep for five minutes.
- In a separate bowl, add two tablespoons of Milo and one tablespoon of water. Mix well and set aside. This will serve as your "Milo syrup."
- In a cup, add one tablespoon of sugar, two tablespoons of Milo, and two tablespoons of creamer. Pour in your black tea and stir. Add ice and stir again.
- Take a glass and add about 30 grams of cooked tapioca pearls. Line the sides with your Milo syrup and pour in your Milo milk tea mixture. Add ice and top with more Milo powder if preferred. Serve.
Follow Lou on Instagram.